Friday, July 11, 2014

Jamie Eason's Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

These muffins make for a convenient snack in between meals. I found this recipe when I first started making healthier choices with my diet. Whenever I heat these muffins up for my mid-morning snack I always have someone asking for the recipe or commenting on how good it smells. They are delicious to say the least and good for you! I stuck to Jamie Eason's recipe for the most part but I did add applesauce to the mix to keep the muffins moist. The applesauce will help add moisture to the muffins if you choose to use extra lean turkey for the recipe.

turkey meatloaf muffins

Jamie Eason's Turkey Meatloaf Muffins



Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce 

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray 12-cup muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
  3. Mix all ingredients together in one large bowl.
  4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.
I usually will have 2 turkey meatloaf muffins with a baked sweet potato and green beans. I also like to add a little reduced sugar on my meatloaf muffins. 

Nutrition per muffin (makes 12 muffins):
80 calories, 2g fat, 4g carbs, 11g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment