Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Three Step Meal Prep

Making a lifestyle change is hard enough so make it easier on yourself by being prepared. It might sound crazy to take a couple hours to prep all of your meals one day a week but it will help you a lot. If you have all of your meals packed and ready to go you are less likely to grab fast food or eat out.

Fail to plan. Plan to fail. 

That little saying could not be more true! When you are prepared with healthy and balanced meals you have no excuse to not succeed and stick to your goal. If you are getting tired of eating the same meal everyday, change it. Clean recipes are endless. Find recipes you know you will not mind eating consistently and change up the menu every now and then. If you want to live a healthy lifestyle you will have to be dedicated, consistent and determined. Prepping meals will help you immensely! 


  • Step 1: Make a grocery list. Make a list of lean proteins (extra lean ground turkey, chicken, fish, etc.), complex carbohydrates (brown rice, sweet potatoes, etc.), fruit, and vegetables that you would like to eat for the upcoming week. You can also make a batch of protein muffins or breakfast muffins too. Find a clean recipe that looks good to you and add those items to your list as well. It's useful to have a variety of spices and different Mrs. Dash's around to change up your meals. If you don't have any spices you should pick up the popular ones such as: garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, Mrs. Dash. Click here for a sample grocery list.


  • Step 2: Cook. Now that you have everything you need for your meals it's time to cook! The first thing I like to do is get all of my meats cooking. Ground turkey, chicken and lean pork loins are usually on my list for lean proteins. I season my chicken and pork loins with Mrs. Dash and throw those on the grill and while that stuff is cooking I start cooking my ground turkey on the stove. Multitasking is the art of meal prepping. Next step is cooking my carbs. I make a batch of brown rice and sweet potatoes. While those are cooking I move onto my protein muffins and breakfast muffins. I start preheating my oven in the beginning so it's ready to go when I am ready to use it. I make my veggies last which is usually just green beans or broccoli. 


  • Step 3: Pack and clean. If you clean as you go it wont be such a huge task at the end. Pack all of your meals up for the week so you can easily grab and go in the morning. All of these meals last me the whole week. I cook dinner every night so I don't feel like I'm eating the same thing all day long. Having my meals packed makes eating clean easier and saves time and money. Prepping meals is not difficult and you will be happy you did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment